Friday 17 April 2020

Amazing Gracie


Her name was Grace, and she was amazing. Everyone called her Amazing Gracie, but never to her face.  And such a beautiful face it was. Grace was tall and nicely built with ginger hair and green eyes. Every guy in the office had a secret crush on her. 

In my case, it was outright love. I felt that I was justified to be in love with her; after all I was thirty and single and she was a couple of years older, or at least she looked that way. Most of the other men in the office were married. But I knew my love would never be returned.  I was a mere project assistant and she was a manager.  Office romances were frowned upon.  Still, they couldn’t stop what was in my heart. 

She arrived at work as usual 15 minutes early. Despite the protestations of her secretary, she put a pot of coffee on herself and then gave the first cup to that same secretary.  She was nice that way . . . no pretensions.  She then retreated to her office and proceeded to read her e-mail.  Everyone knew that Grace never read any business e-mail except at the office.  But as usual, there were several that would require her attention first thing.  So she called in Sandra, her secretary, and gave her several tasks to do; research mostly, but also a couple of appointments to make.  It was a typical morning.  I was deep into preparing a proposal for a new project, so I pretty much had my head down all day.  Late in the afternoon, however, I was called into a meeting on the progress of the proposal; a meeting being chaired by Grace.  She asked me to sit next to her so she could see my charts and numbers.  I started to perspire (Remember horses sweat, gentlemen perspire, and ladies flush – I was half way between horse and gentleman).  

Grace had arrived at the company three years ago.  She had a very short resume which included her university marks and one previous job in another town.  Supposedly, she had been recommended by an acquaintance of the HR Manager.  Her interview was lengthy but she had finally been offered the job of project assistant.  By then, I had been with the company for about a year as more or less a gopher.  But I was studying at night school for a qualification in project management.

Grace worked hard and was soon elevated to manager of a couple of small projects.  That’s when I first came to her attention.  I was asked to build the schedule for these projects which had me talking to her as I developed the details and she reviewed them.  She was very pleased with the work that I had done and asked what training I had been taking.  When I told her, she nodded and said that I was on the right track.  Such an endorsement!  I blushed and thanked her.  A few days later she told me that she had talked to my boss and that she wanted me to be her project assistant for the big project that was then brewing.  I almost fainted.  I tried to remain calm as I told her that I would do my best and was pleased to work with/for her.  It was a couple of months before the project started and I fretted the whole time that she would change her mind and go with one of the more experienced project assistants.  But the project eventually started and I buckled down to work.  Gracie turned out to be a great boss.

Slim Jim was on the prowl and his target was Grace.  Jim Merriweather was the Quality Assurance Manager so he got himself involved in every project in that capacity.  Jim was married with two sons not yet ten (the sons not Jim.  He only acted ten).  For the last few months, he had been telling everyone, especially Grace, that he was about to “dump the old lady” because he said she was being unfaithful.  I had met Mrs. Merriweather and she was a nice lady, but she had become a little dowdy since the boys were born.  She adored her sons and Jim so I didn’t see her being unfaithful to them.  But Jim spent many hours around the coffee machine or the water cooler trying to convince everyone that that, in fact, was the case.

Jim was exceptional, at least in his telling.  He was exceptional at everything so his legend went.  He was exceptional at his job, as a father, in sports, as a lover and in any number of other endeavours.  He wasn’t a bad looking guy; tall and of course slim with a relatively large, handsome head.  In his opinion, Grace and he would make the perfect couple. They were both good looking (true) and intelligent (questionable in one case), and with his prowess, he would make Grace very happy.  They would produce very handsome and intelligent children that would revolutionize the world.  I don’t think he ever told that to Grace, but he hinted about it to office colleagues who, he hoped would convey the message to Grace . . . subtly of course.  I hated Jim!  But it turned out I was not alone in this feeling.  

The more the project progressed, the more time I spent with Gracie.  Sometimes it could be quite unnerving to try and concentrate on your work when you were looking for any excuse to be with her, or was it Her. Grace started a Friday evening get together with the project team at a nearby pub.  Since some of the team members were often out of the office during the week, this was a good opportunity to get caught up with each other.  The first time I was invited to join, as part of the project team of course, I just about passed out.  An opportunity to socialize with Grace!  What could be better?  But most weeks there were a lot of people there and I was usually at the other end of the table from her, so socializing with her was difficult.  I did get to know other team members and that’s how I found out that all of the other guys were enamoured with her. 

One Friday, Grace and I arrived at the pub about the same time and she said, “Paul, why don’t you sit next to me.”  Paul.  That was me and she was inviting me to sit next to her.  This was getting interesting.  We all started talking about the project and what had gone on that week.  Half way through the session, Jim arrived.  He tried to manoeuver between Grace and I, but she showed him to a seat on the other side of her.  Inevitably the talk slowed down and people started to leave to go home.  Suddenly, there was only the three of us left; Jim, Grace and me.  Then things got tense.  Jim not-too-subtly tried to get me to leave, “Don’t you have somewhere to go Paul?” or even, “Maybe you should leave us grownups alone, Paul.”  But each time, Grace would chime in and say, “It’s okay Jim, Paul and I were having an interesting chat when you arrived, so I’d like to finish that.”  But things just kept getting tenser.  At one point, I thought Jim was going to physically try to throw me out.  But I decided that I would hang in here and see what happened.  After all, it’s not like Gracie showed any real interest in Jim.  She seemed to be bemused by the situation and in her own subtle way she too seemed to want to see how this thing turned out too.  After some more bantering back and forth, I saw and heard something I had never heard before; Grace got annoyed.  She finally snapped at Jim, “Don’t you have a wife and kids to go home to?”  Jim started to protest, but saw very quickly that it was not going to work so he reluctantly got up and left.  Grace and I didn’t actually stay around that much longer.  It was as if the whole evening had been about the contest and after it was over, there seemed no more purpose to stick around.  I asked if she would like me to see her home, but she just chuckled and said her car was nearby, “but thank you anyway”.

The following Monday, Jim came to my cubicle and asked snidely, “So did you make it with your boss on Friday?”  I said, “A gentleman never tells.”  With that, Jim stomped off looking for all the world as if he were looking for someone to punch.

And so the project carried on.  Slim Jim started to try and harass me by finding problems with my work.  In most cases they were so trivial that they seemed laughable, but I never laughed at Jim.  I didn’t laugh with him either when he told one of his inane jokes or tried to make fun of someone.  Grace and I continued to work closely and to get to know each other better.  But it never became anything more than a workplace friendship.  The project looked like it was going to be very successful.  Even the money guys seemed happy that we were sticking to the budget and schedule.  It became such a pleasure to work with Grace since she was so fair and sharing of plaudits.  And unlike other managers that I knew, she could be very decisive when decisions were required.  

Things went along in this vain until one week in May.  Grace hadn’t seemed right all week.  It was so unlike her since she never before showed signs of any infirmity.  All week, she seemed slow and lethargic.  She would forget words and on one occasion that week missed a meeting.  At times her shoulders seemed slumped and she was walking slower that her usual purposeful stride.  However, if you tried to offer some suggestion or a pain killer she would tell you that everything was fine, and to just leave her alone.  In the past, she had never asked anyone to leave her alone, except perhaps Slim Jim, but that was for other reasons.  On Friday after work, she even refused to join the rest of her team for a get together at our favourite pub, something that had become sacrosanct for the entire team.  Slim Jim seemed particularly peeved by this.  Did he still think that he a chance with her?

On the Saturday morning, I was downtown looking for some used books.  Coming out of one store, I saw Grace walking down the street very slowly and somewhat ensure.  I decided to see if I could help her in any way so I started after her.  She was about half a block ahead but I was walking much faster than her and figured I would catch up in the next block.  Suddenly she turned into an old office building.  I walked up to the same door and looked through a grimy window as she paused outside a ground floor door.  I followed her into the building and was about to call her name, when she entered the door. I went to the same door which had no name or other identification on it.  I could barely see through the window, but I could see Grace standing in there stock still.  I carefully opened the door when a middle aged man came out of a hall and stood in front of Grace.  I froze but did not close the door, just stood there.  The man started to take off Grace’s blouse and then her bra.  What was this guy up to and why was he undressing my Gracie?  When he had her naked from the waist up, he went to her back.  There he peeled back a piece of her skin, only about 2 by 2 inches.  Once he had done that, he opened a small trap door underneath the square of skin.  As he opened it, I heard a monotone, mechanical voice come from Grace, “Fix me”.

© Gordon Forbes, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment