Tuesday 7 April 2020

Isolation Nation


We are a nation
In isolation

We’re told its good
But still we brood

How do we repair
All this despair

Of isolation . . .
So, how are you enjoying your isolation?  You are, of course, self-isolating.  But it is becoming difficult, isn’t it?  It is after all week four, or so we are told. 
How many jigsaw puzzles can you complete?  How many books can you read?  How many computer games can you play? How many sports events from 2008 can you stand?  How many shows can you stream? How many news programs telling you how dire things can become can you put up with?  It is difficult, isn’t it?
There are things you can try to alleviate the loneliness and boredom.  You can try writing, even bad poetry like that above.  You can busy yourself with chores around the house (but what fun is that?).  You can immerse yourself in music, like I’m doing right now with a record of Tchaikovsky playing on the record player.
“Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman. Believing what he read made him mad.”

A lot of the things that we are not to do can be difficult.  I challenge anyone to not touch their face for 12 hours.  All the things you have to do on or near your face add up: putting on or adjusting your glasses and hearing aids; feeding yourself; brushing your teeth, scratching your nose.  Are we still allowed to wash our face?  Your face is probably the body part that you touch the most in the course of a day.  Nonetheless, I think the most profound statement that seems to capture things was in the comments section of an on-line news story.  One commenter went on an on about, “all the different advice we are getting.”  The reply from another commenter summed it up, “wash your hands, stay home.”
I know it can be a chore, but I almost envy families that have children at home, particularly if the children are old enough to be able to participate in the daily schedule.  You can talk to them or play with them.  In our case there is only my wife and I with no other family near.  We do love each other and get along very well.  We laugh together and talk and enjoy some of our daily routines.  But there are still long silences as we grope for things to do or say together.  That’s when I retreat to my office and try to write something coherent.  But we all must feel sorry for people who are alone and have nobody to share their isolation.  That must be terrible, and I hope that people can come to their rescue.
Speaking about rescue, how about we older folks become sacrificial lambs.  Why don’t we do our part by taking on jobs and tasks so that younger people, people with children and with a future, can stay home and protect themselves and their families?  We could work in grocery stores.  We could check out stuff or stack shelves or use our talents and experience in other ways.  Since our retirement plans and investments are suffering from the economic fall out, a few extra bucks would probably help a lot.
A couple of personal observations.  I haven’t had a haircut since late January and my wife did not inherit any of her grandfather’s barbering skills.  I’m going to look pretty shaggy by the time barber shops reopen.  In my reading habits, I have noticed that I am tending toward thinner, shorter books.  Premonition?
In my last blog, The Viral Virus, I made some suggestions about how to fill your time.  I think that they still apply.  I think the most important ones are:
-          Bring as much humour into your life as you can;
-          Be optimistic.
Stay well and look after each other.
“It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem.”

3 comments:

  1. extremely good Not a surprise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still working from home, so my days are not much different. I'm on my third jigsaw puzzle and video chat regularly with my 9 yr old nephew and brother in Nfld to keep myself busy in the evenings and on weekends. Only venturing out once a week for necessities.

    ReplyDelete